Ocean Hub Africa is calling on promising startups in Africa to apply to the 6-months Ocean Hub Accelerator Program. An accelerator program to support impact for-profit startups concerned with restoring and preserving the oceans health.
The Ocean Hub Africa accelerator will support ocean-minded startups from Africa with the aim of sustaining an environmentally conscious and profitable economy which reduces the effects of global warming and also the over-exploitation and pollution of the oceans.
The accelerator program will also help selected startups seek sustainable pathways yielding stable profits (ROIs) and avenues for scalable growth throughout the continent.
What to expect
Successful applicants will become part of Ocean Hub Africa portfolio which will be enabling them:
- Engage with a network of leading ocean experts, mentors who are entrepreneurs, investors, innovation experts, impact experts, scientists, lawyers, etc.), impact investors and potential clients
- They also are supported to fast-track their growth by acquiring new customers or running first Proof of Concept, and scaling their businesses by means of commercial contracts and fund raising
- An opportunity to network with and hear from previous cohort
Benefits of the Ocean Hub Africa Accelerator
Chosen startups will benefit from these serviced packages;
- Close to 25,000 worth of cloud service from AWS activate
- Access to free IoT ptototyping from Sigfox
- More than $40,000 worth of mechanical engineering design software licenses for prototyping and virtual testing is made available to companies from 3DExperience Lab
- Accelerated companies will again have access to Dassault Systèmes, Amazon Web Services and SigFox international marketplaces and/or salesforce for their finished products.
- There’ll be a legal advisory session with the likes of Cullinans&Associates – international environmental law firm), BVPG (commercial and transactional law), Blue Oceans Partners (ocean impact Venture Capitalist fund) and more.
Fund raising support
- You will receive support in preparing and running investor pitches, including training sessions directly with investors
- There is support in structuring deals, including reviews by transactional and commercial lawyers
- You will get access to a huge portfolio of impact investors part of Ocean Hub Africa’s ecosystems including investors such as Blue Ocean Partners, Ocean14 Capital, Finca Ventures, HAVAIC, Sky Ventures, AquaSpark, Fynd Ventures, Athelia, etc as well as corporate venture capitalist funds
See more of the benefits on Network and Mentorship support.
- Your startup must be ocean-minded where it has a direct or indirect positive impact on the oceans by way of addressing climate change, pollution or over-exploitation of the ocean.
- You must be are a for-profit company operating in Africa.
- Your company must have a scalable service or product available on the market or market ready.
- Is your product or service clearly innovative and your business model really disruptive?
- Are you looking for investments or wishing to expand into a new market?
Applications end on 5th March 2021, by March 12th and 24th shortlisted and successful startups will be announced respectively and the Ocean Hub Africa program starts on the 6th of April. Find out more information and apply.
MEST Africa: Applications Opens to Aspiring Tech Entrepreneurs in Class of 2022
MEST Africa calls for applications into the Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology Training Program Class of 2022. This is a twelve (12) month graduate-level training program for aspiring tech startup founders on the continent of Africa. Deadline is the 29th of April, 2021.
The MEST Africa entrepreneurs have developed solutions addressing local, regional and global markets, received follow-on funding from global investors and gotten into top accelerator programs such as Y-combinator, 500 startups and TechStars.
The MEST Africa Training Program is the leading entrepreneurial training program in Africa in business, communications and software development which includes extensive hands-on project work for trainees, culminating in a final pitch and the chance to receive seed investment and grow their businesses.
The successful world-class MEST Training Program annually runs with the help of an internationally recognized faculty. Its teaching fellows come from some of the best universities around the globe with the likes of Oxford, Stanford, Harvard and more.
They as well offer selected entrepreneurs-in-training (EITs) the opportunity to be mentored by real-life Entrepreneurs, CEOs and other executives from all over the world. Some of its guest lecturers are executives of Uber, Facebook, Safaricom, Samsung, Interswitch, etc.
This year, MEST Africa says it is welcoming entrepreneurs living in Ghana and Nigeria mainly because of the way organizations operate around the world today due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, causing travel restrictions and moving many workplaces to adopt digital solutions.
Who qualifies to to be accepted into the MEST Africa Training Program?
- A degree from a top university or Technical College or equivalent experience with at least two (2) years corporate and startup experience (preferred)
- Deep skills in either communications, business or software development (from the onset or acquired during the Pre-Learning stage)
- Young persons crazy about tech and entrepreneurship, and how to use technology to achieve business results
- Should be ready to commit to a full residential program for a whole year
- Disciplined, motivated self-starter who can work and deliver on assignments and projects – demonstrate this by completing the required Pre-Learning courses and MEST’s rigorous recruitment process
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong desire to start a company
- Ability to communicate candidly and persuasively
- Ability to work well in teams, proven academic or professional excellence
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Confident and independent thinking
- Excellent people skills
The MEST Africa Training Program commences on the 1st of September and ends on the 31 of August, 2022. All interested persons should find out more about the Curriculum Structure. You will complete their pre-learning courses, take an aptitude test and the Training Program Application form. This is a fully sponsored training for all qualified entrepreneurs.
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at email@example.com. We will be happy to share your story with the world!