Ocean Hub Africa is calling on promising startups in Africa to apply to the 6-months Ocean Hub Accelerator Program. An accelerator program to support impact for-profit startups concerned with restoring and preserving the oceans health.
The Ocean Hub Africa accelerator will support ocean-minded startups from Africa with the aim of sustaining an environmentally conscious and profitable economy which reduces the effects of global warming and also the over-exploitation and pollution of the oceans.
The accelerator program will also help selected startups seek sustainable pathways yielding stable profits (ROIs) and avenues for scalable growth throughout the continent.
What to expect
Successful applicants will become part of Ocean Hub Africa portfolio which will be enabling them:
- Engage with a network of leading ocean experts, mentors who are entrepreneurs, investors, innovation experts, impact experts, scientists, lawyers, etc.), impact investors and potential clients
- They also are supported to fast-track their growth by acquiring new customers or running first Proof of Concept, and scaling their businesses by means of commercial contracts and fund raising
- An opportunity to network with and hear from previous cohort
Benefits of the Ocean Hub Africa Accelerator
Chosen startups will benefit from these serviced packages;
- Close to 25,000 worth of cloud service from AWS activate
- Access to free IoT ptototyping from Sigfox
- More than $40,000 worth of mechanical engineering design software licenses for prototyping and virtual testing is made available to companies from 3DExperience Lab
- Accelerated companies will again have access to Dassault Systèmes, Amazon Web Services and SigFox international marketplaces and/or salesforce for their finished products.
- There’ll be a legal advisory session with the likes of Cullinans&Associates – international environmental law firm), BVPG (commercial and transactional law), Blue Oceans Partners (ocean impact Venture Capitalist fund) and more.
Fund raising support
- You will receive support in preparing and running investor pitches, including training sessions directly with investors
- There is support in structuring deals, including reviews by transactional and commercial lawyers
- You will get access to a huge portfolio of impact investors part of Ocean Hub Africa’s ecosystems including investors such as Blue Ocean Partners, Ocean14 Capital, Finca Ventures, HAVAIC, Sky Ventures, AquaSpark, Fynd Ventures, Athelia, etc as well as corporate venture capitalist funds
See more of the benefits on Network and Mentorship support.
- Your startup must be ocean-minded where it has a direct or indirect positive impact on the oceans by way of addressing climate change, pollution or over-exploitation of the ocean.
- You must be are a for-profit company operating in Africa.
- Your company must have a scalable service or product available on the market or market ready.
- Is your product or service clearly innovative and your business model really disruptive?
- Are you looking for investments or wishing to expand into a new market?
Applications end on 5th March 2021, by March 12th and 24th shortlisted and successful startups will be announced respectively and the Ocean Hub Africa program starts on the 6th of April. Find out more information and apply.
A Male and A Female Entrepreneur to Win US$50K Each in the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize. APPLY!!!
Applications are open for the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize 2021 aimed at finding the brightest young agri-food entrepreneurs on the African continent. This is a search for agribusinesses that are bringing tech, innovation and passion to the agriculture and food space.
The Gogettaz Agripreneur Prize is organized by Generation Africa, a partnership between Econet and Yara International to strengthen the ecosystem for youth entrepreneurs in the agri-food sector across the continent.
The prize is looking for agribusinesses that show the following features;
- Environmental sustainability
- Social and commercial impact
- Originality and innovation
- Market potential and traction
- An investible team
Who Qualifies to apply?
- Be 35 years and below
- Hold nationality (with an official ID) from any African Union member country
- Be a founding member of the startup and play an active role in its operation
- Have no criminal record
The submitted company shall meet the following terms,
- The business should be legally registered in any AU member country and also headquartered on the continent
- It is built to be financially sustainable either as for-profit or non-profit generating revenue and not solely dependent on donor funding
- The venture currently plays a role in the agri-food sector and/or supports the development of the agri-food sector through an innovation or process improvement
- The agri-food sector may be defined as businesses including:
- Agri-food research & development
- Primary food production (farming)
- Crop nutrition
- Mechanisation, automation or robotics, including drones
- Crop protection
- Hydroponics or urban farming
- Transport, distribution, storage or logistics
- Food processing
- Packaging or marketing
- Food retail or service
- Waste management or recycling
- Digital or technology solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Innovative finance solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Renewable energy or environmental solutions/services to the agri-food sector
After a thorough review of applications by expert jury, semi-finalists will receive notification via Facebook and email by the 17th of July 2021 where they will each be interviewed and asked for further information.
By the 27th of July, the finalists will be announced with six (6) males and six (6) females to compete in the final virtual pitching contest at the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) virtual meeting 2021.
The Grand Prize
Two successful entrepreneurs; male and female, will each receive $50,000 for being the most innovative and scalable agric business idea. All GoGettaz finalists will also be awarded mentorship, programming linkages and other guidance to continue their entrepreneurial journey. APPLY HERE
Deadline for applications
The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize welcomes applications till the 14th of June, 2021.
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at email@example.com. We will be happy to share your story with the world!