SEED, an initiative supporting innovative and locally driven entrepreneurship calls for applications to the SEED Awards 2021. This award is in search of innovative small and growing businesses who are delivering social, environmental and economic impacts.
In its 14th year cycle, the Seed Awards 2021, will be giving out up to 48 packages to promising, innovative and locally led enterprises in environmental and social sectors from emerging markets.
The two (2) categories of SEED Awards 2021
- SEED Low Carbon Awards: This category is accepting applications from Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, India, Indonesia and Thailand.
- SEED Climate Adaptation Awards: It is also seeking applicants from Zambia, Botswana and Malawi.
Who qualifies to apply?
Applications should come from enterprises that are meeting these criteria:
- Must locally founded and locally led
- Is in partnership between different stakeholder groups
- Innovative market-driven enterprise providing solutions to social and environmental challenges
- Has potential to scale-up and replicate
- Is operational and in the early to growth stage
- Has intention and potential to become financially sustainable
The Importance of the SEED Awards is that, it aims to support small and growing green enterprises. And organizers say this is a necessary event to carry on because beyond celebrating the remarkable accomplishments of businesses that have created social and environmental impact, the SEED Awards and enterprise program do well to play a vital role in supporting green and social impact SMEs with their difficulties.
According to the 2019 SEED Award winner from Malawi, Joyce Sikwese, founder of Green Impact Technologies,
“SEED has helped to build confidence in me. I have been able to stand and speak in front of different donors, stakeholders, financiers and government officials.”
From India, StoneSoup, a SEED Award recipient also shared that, the award has helped them improve their products and services, which is also helping them see expansion of their offerings to more related products that they feel would complement those they have now.
Benefits for winners of SEED Awards 2021
- Winners of the awards will receive capacity building and financial support of up to €15,000.
- Both the winners and runners-up will participate in the SEED Accelerator and Catalyser programmes, respectively, which are going to be run by local business development organisations and designed to support high-potential enterprises to scale up, optimize their eco-inclusive impacts and financial planning.
- Award recipients will gain access to the SEED Enterprise Toolkit for collaboration and hands-on design thinking methods for enterprise development.
- Organizers says, the awardees will join their over 300 SEED Award alumni and get the opportunity to be profiled at their high-level awards ceremony as well as SEED partner events.
About the Award
For over 13 years, over 300+ small and growing businesses from emerging markets in Asia, Africa and Latin America have received the prestigious SEED Award. It has over the years enjoyed support from their partners. A total of €163,500 funding is offered in the form of grants and matching grants for SEED Award recipients.
The SEED Low Carbon Awards are sponsored by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The SEED Climate Adaptation Awards in Malawi, Zambia & Botswana are sponsored by the Government of Flanders.
The SEED Awards 2021 is for anyone who meets the requirement. Are you ready? The future is yours. Apply Now! Deadline is the 22 of March, 2021.
MEST Africa: Applications Opens to Aspiring Tech Entrepreneurs in Class of 2022
MEST Africa calls for applications into the Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology Training Program Class of 2022. This is a twelve (12) month graduate-level training program for aspiring tech startup founders on the continent of Africa. Deadline is the 29th of April, 2021.
The MEST Africa entrepreneurs have developed solutions addressing local, regional and global markets, received follow-on funding from global investors and gotten into top accelerator programs such as Y-combinator, 500 startups and TechStars.
The MEST Africa Training Program is the leading entrepreneurial training program in Africa in business, communications and software development which includes extensive hands-on project work for trainees, culminating in a final pitch and the chance to receive seed investment and grow their businesses.
The successful world-class MEST Training Program annually runs with the help of an internationally recognized faculty. Its teaching fellows come from some of the best universities around the globe with the likes of Oxford, Stanford, Harvard and more.
They as well offer selected entrepreneurs-in-training (EITs) the opportunity to be mentored by real-life Entrepreneurs, CEOs and other executives from all over the world. Some of its guest lecturers are executives of Uber, Facebook, Safaricom, Samsung, Interswitch, etc.
This year, MEST Africa says it is welcoming entrepreneurs living in Ghana and Nigeria mainly because of the way organizations operate around the world today due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, causing travel restrictions and moving many workplaces to adopt digital solutions.
Who qualifies to to be accepted into the MEST Africa Training Program?
- A degree from a top university or Technical College or equivalent experience with at least two (2) years corporate and startup experience (preferred)
- Deep skills in either communications, business or software development (from the onset or acquired during the Pre-Learning stage)
- Young persons crazy about tech and entrepreneurship, and how to use technology to achieve business results
- Should be ready to commit to a full residential program for a whole year
- Disciplined, motivated self-starter who can work and deliver on assignments and projects – demonstrate this by completing the required Pre-Learning courses and MEST’s rigorous recruitment process
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong desire to start a company
- Ability to communicate candidly and persuasively
- Ability to work well in teams, proven academic or professional excellence
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Confident and independent thinking
- Excellent people skills
The MEST Africa Training Program commences on the 1st of September and ends on the 31 of August, 2022. All interested persons should find out more about the Curriculum Structure. You will complete their pre-learning courses, take an aptitude test and the Training Program Application form. This is a fully sponsored training for all qualified entrepreneurs.
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to share your story with the world!