SEED, an initiative supporting innovative and locally driven entrepreneurship calls for applications to the SEED Awards 2021. This award is in search of innovative small and growing businesses who are delivering social, environmental and economic impacts.
In its 14th year cycle, the Seed Awards 2021, will be giving out up to 48 packages to promising, innovative and locally led enterprises in environmental and social sectors from emerging markets.
The two (2) categories of SEED Awards 2021
- SEED Low Carbon Awards: This category is accepting applications from Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, India, Indonesia and Thailand.
- SEED Climate Adaptation Awards: It is also seeking applicants from Zambia, Botswana and Malawi.
Who qualifies to apply?
Applications should come from enterprises that are meeting these criteria:
- Must locally founded and locally led
- Is in partnership between different stakeholder groups
- Innovative market-driven enterprise providing solutions to social and environmental challenges
- Has potential to scale-up and replicate
- Is operational and in the early to growth stage
- Has intention and potential to become financially sustainable
The Importance of the SEED Awards is that, it aims to support small and growing green enterprises. And organizers say this is a necessary event to carry on because beyond celebrating the remarkable accomplishments of businesses that have created social and environmental impact, the SEED Awards and enterprise program do well to play a vital role in supporting green and social impact SMEs with their difficulties.
According to the 2019 SEED Award winner from Malawi, Joyce Sikwese, founder of Green Impact Technologies,
“SEED has helped to build confidence in me. I have been able to stand and speak in front of different donors, stakeholders, financiers and government officials.”
From India, StoneSoup, a SEED Award recipient also shared that, the award has helped them improve their products and services, which is also helping them see expansion of their offerings to more related products that they feel would complement those they have now.
Benefits for winners of SEED Awards 2021
- Winners of the awards will receive capacity building and financial support of up to €15,000.
- Both the winners and runners-up will participate in the SEED Accelerator and Catalyser programmes, respectively, which are going to be run by local business development organisations and designed to support high-potential enterprises to scale up, optimize their eco-inclusive impacts and financial planning.
- Award recipients will gain access to the SEED Enterprise Toolkit for collaboration and hands-on design thinking methods for enterprise development.
- Organizers says, the awardees will join their over 300 SEED Award alumni and get the opportunity to be profiled at their high-level awards ceremony as well as SEED partner events.
About the Award
For over 13 years, over 300+ small and growing businesses from emerging markets in Asia, Africa and Latin America have received the prestigious SEED Award. It has over the years enjoyed support from their partners. A total of €163,500 funding is offered in the form of grants and matching grants for SEED Award recipients.
The SEED Low Carbon Awards are sponsored by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The SEED Climate Adaptation Awards in Malawi, Zambia & Botswana are sponsored by the Government of Flanders.
The SEED Awards 2021 is for anyone who meets the requirement. Are you ready? The future is yours. Apply Now! Deadline is the 22 of March, 2021.
A Male and A Female Entrepreneur to Win US$50K Each in the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize. APPLY!!!
Applications are open for the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize 2021 aimed at finding the brightest young agri-food entrepreneurs on the African continent. This is a search for agribusinesses that are bringing tech, innovation and passion to the agriculture and food space.
The Gogettaz Agripreneur Prize is organized by Generation Africa, a partnership between Econet and Yara International to strengthen the ecosystem for youth entrepreneurs in the agri-food sector across the continent.
The prize is looking for agribusinesses that show the following features;
- Environmental sustainability
- Social and commercial impact
- Originality and innovation
- Market potential and traction
- An investible team
Who Qualifies to apply?
- Be 35 years and below
- Hold nationality (with an official ID) from any African Union member country
- Be a founding member of the startup and play an active role in its operation
- Have no criminal record
The submitted company shall meet the following terms,
- The business should be legally registered in any AU member country and also headquartered on the continent
- It is built to be financially sustainable either as for-profit or non-profit generating revenue and not solely dependent on donor funding
- The venture currently plays a role in the agri-food sector and/or supports the development of the agri-food sector through an innovation or process improvement
- The agri-food sector may be defined as businesses including:
- Agri-food research & development
- Primary food production (farming)
- Crop nutrition
- Mechanisation, automation or robotics, including drones
- Crop protection
- Hydroponics or urban farming
- Transport, distribution, storage or logistics
- Food processing
- Packaging or marketing
- Food retail or service
- Waste management or recycling
- Digital or technology solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Innovative finance solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Renewable energy or environmental solutions/services to the agri-food sector
After a thorough review of applications by expert jury, semi-finalists will receive notification via Facebook and email by the 17th of July 2021 where they will each be interviewed and asked for further information.
By the 27th of July, the finalists will be announced with six (6) males and six (6) females to compete in the final virtual pitching contest at the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) virtual meeting 2021.
The Grand Prize
Two successful entrepreneurs; male and female, will each receive $50,000 for being the most innovative and scalable agric business idea. All GoGettaz finalists will also be awarded mentorship, programming linkages and other guidance to continue their entrepreneurial journey. APPLY HERE
Deadline for applications
The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize welcomes applications till the 14th of June, 2021.
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at email@example.com. We will be happy to share your story with the world!