The Orange Group calls for submission of applications to the 11th edition of Orange Social Venture Prize in Africa and the Middle East (POESAM) from startups, to submit their projects until the 4th of June, 2021.
The Orange Social Venture Prize has since 2011 been awarded for innovative projects by startups, based on information and communication technologies that have a positive societal impact in Africa and the Middle East in the fields of education, healthcare, e-commerce and agriculture, or that help to meet sustainable development goals.
Through this prize, Orange, as a committed operator, seeks to contribute to the socio-economic development of Africa, support social and environmental innovation and encourage entrepreneurship.
Two Stages of the Orange Social Venture Prize
The competition involves two stages: a local phase that takes place between March and June in the 17 Orange subsidiaries. The countries then each choose three prize winners. During the second phase, the winners from each country are in competition with each other and an international jury consisting of representatives of the Orange start-up ecosystem meet to decide on the international POESAM prize winners.
In a press statement, Alioune Ndiaye, the CEO of Orange Middle East & Africa, noted that,
“Africa is undergoing major changes: rapid population growth, accelerating urbanisation, technological breakthroughs in mobile communication and mobile financial services, for example.”
Adding that these structural trends are creating major economic opportunities which mean we must innovate in response and thus build a more prosperous and inclusive continent. And admits that it is the continent’s young entrepreneurs who are better placed to meet these challenges.
Benefits of the Prize
The International Grand Prizes are awarded to three prize winners from €10,000 to €25,000 and each includes several months of support from Orange experts to accelerate your business development.
Additionally, the Orange Group, in renewing its support for female entrepreneurship will again for the second year running award the International Women’s Prize launched in 2020 to a woman, or a startup project offering a technological solution to improve the living conditions of women. This prize is worth €20,000.
Commenting on the prize, Elizabeth Tchoungui, Orange Group Exe. Dir. CSR, Diversity and Philanthropy and Deputy Chair of the Orange Foundation, said,
“I am delighted that for the second year running the International Women’s Prize is supporting entrepreneurship for women and the promotion of initiatives that aim to improve the empowerment of women. Because helping a woman grow makes the world a better place.”
The prize, for Elizabeth, contributes towards the attainment of the tenth UN Sustainable Development Goal, which is “Reduced inequalities”, and this is something she reminds, they have been committed to.
Who qualifies to participate?
All applicants must meet these criteria to apply
- Any student, employee or entrepreneur over 21 years old can apply
- The startup business must have been launched at least 3 years before the competition start date
- The company must also be based in any of these countries
- Burkina Faso
The first national phase of the Orange Social Venture Prize will take place between June and August. Then the international competition runs from mid-September to mid-October, 2021. APPLY NOW and find more details about the Prize here.
A Male and A Female Entrepreneur to Win US$50K Each in the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize. APPLY!!!
Applications are open for the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize 2021 aimed at finding the brightest young agri-food entrepreneurs on the African continent. This is a search for agribusinesses that are bringing tech, innovation and passion to the agriculture and food space.
The Gogettaz Agripreneur Prize is organized by Generation Africa, a partnership between Econet and Yara International to strengthen the ecosystem for youth entrepreneurs in the agri-food sector across the continent.
The prize is looking for agribusinesses that show the following features;
- Environmental sustainability
- Social and commercial impact
- Originality and innovation
- Market potential and traction
- An investible team
Who Qualifies to apply?
- Be 35 years and below
- Hold nationality (with an official ID) from any African Union member country
- Be a founding member of the startup and play an active role in its operation
- Have no criminal record
The submitted company shall meet the following terms,
- The business should be legally registered in any AU member country and also headquartered on the continent
- It is built to be financially sustainable either as for-profit or non-profit generating revenue and not solely dependent on donor funding
- The venture currently plays a role in the agri-food sector and/or supports the development of the agri-food sector through an innovation or process improvement
- The agri-food sector may be defined as businesses including:
- Agri-food research & development
- Primary food production (farming)
- Crop nutrition
- Mechanisation, automation or robotics, including drones
- Crop protection
- Hydroponics or urban farming
- Transport, distribution, storage or logistics
- Food processing
- Packaging or marketing
- Food retail or service
- Waste management or recycling
- Digital or technology solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Innovative finance solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Renewable energy or environmental solutions/services to the agri-food sector
After a thorough review of applications by expert jury, semi-finalists will receive notification via Facebook and email by the 17th of July 2021 where they will each be interviewed and asked for further information.
By the 27th of July, the finalists will be announced with six (6) males and six (6) females to compete in the final virtual pitching contest at the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) virtual meeting 2021.
The Grand Prize
Two successful entrepreneurs; male and female, will each receive $50,000 for being the most innovative and scalable agric business idea. All GoGettaz finalists will also be awarded mentorship, programming linkages and other guidance to continue their entrepreneurial journey. APPLY HERE
Deadline for applications
The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize welcomes applications till the 14th of June, 2021.
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to share your story with the world!