U.S. based non-profit organization, Extreme Tech Challenge (XTC), invites applications from tech startups in Africa for the global competition on June 15th-17th, 2021.
The Extreme Tech Challenge (XTC) is a leading a global startup competition discovering and supporting new technologies and innovations to solve the world’s most extreme problems. XTC begins with the Sustainable Development Goals and distills them into seven core categories where Extreme Tech Challenge expects startup founders to develop ambitious, influential products or services that will make a positive impact on humanity and the world at large.
Extreme Tech Challenge is inspired by the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to support and showcase the innovators using the power of tech to address the greatest challenges facing humanity and the planet.
Through this global startup competition, XTC will provide top contenders the potential for global visibility, the ability to raise capital, network with global entities (corporations, VCs, partners), and gain mentorship opportunities they need to pioneer technological breakthroughs and help power a sustainable future.
The competitors will submit their startup in ONE (1) of the 7 categories (XTC’s Tech for Good Categories) that bundle the UN SDG. These are:
- AgTech, Food & Water
- Cleantech & Energy
- Enabling Technologies
- Smart Cities and Transportation
The XTC Competition is open to all tech startups across the globe which includes Africa with product or service that meet the criteria spelt out. The company must have developed or in the process of developing,
- A product or service based on new or innovative technology,
- An innovative application of an existing technology developed by the company
- A startup’s product or service must be addressing one of the seven key categories of the “Tech for Good Categories”
Check out the remaining criteria in the EXTREME TECH CHALLENGE COMPETITION Official Rules.
Benefits of the Extreme Tech Challenge
- Opportunity to pitch your startup to thousands of tech leaders and investors at regional and global competitions
- You will have access to leading investors to help you raise seed capital
- The rare chance of engaging with global corporations, CVCs, and VCs
- You will also work with industry leaders and experts who will help shape your startup for success!
50+ Finalists will be invited to the virtual XTC Boot Camp and Global Finals to meet 30+ XTC Partners including Ford, Intel, Cisco, ARM, and Samsung in May.
The Application Process
XTC competitors will be evaluated by a team of highly experienced investors, entrepreneurs, and executives.
Submissions will be judged based on their quality, ability to address the corresponding U.N. Sustainability Development Goals, and long-term viability.
Each application will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Tech for Good and Impact on the Sustainable Development Goals of both the product and the Company’s operations
- Product/Service Innovation
- Product Market Fit
Eligible African countries
The Extreme Tech Challenge is supported by Samsung, Ford, Evercore, Cisco, NXP, Silicon Valley Bank, Slush, Vivatech, ARM, and other world leading corporations. So any startup across the globe and those in the listed Africa countries building tech solutions addressing social or environmental challenges should APPLY before the 31st of March 2021. Find more information on their website.
A Male and A Female Entrepreneur to Win US$50K Each in the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize. APPLY!!!
Applications are open for the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize 2021 aimed at finding the brightest young agri-food entrepreneurs on the African continent. This is a search for agribusinesses that are bringing tech, innovation and passion to the agriculture and food space.
The Gogettaz Agripreneur Prize is organized by Generation Africa, a partnership between Econet and Yara International to strengthen the ecosystem for youth entrepreneurs in the agri-food sector across the continent.
The prize is looking for agribusinesses that show the following features;
- Environmental sustainability
- Social and commercial impact
- Originality and innovation
- Market potential and traction
- An investible team
Who Qualifies to apply?
- Be 35 years and below
- Hold nationality (with an official ID) from any African Union member country
- Be a founding member of the startup and play an active role in its operation
- Have no criminal record
The submitted company shall meet the following terms,
- The business should be legally registered in any AU member country and also headquartered on the continent
- It is built to be financially sustainable either as for-profit or non-profit generating revenue and not solely dependent on donor funding
- The venture currently plays a role in the agri-food sector and/or supports the development of the agri-food sector through an innovation or process improvement
- The agri-food sector may be defined as businesses including:
- Agri-food research & development
- Primary food production (farming)
- Crop nutrition
- Mechanisation, automation or robotics, including drones
- Crop protection
- Hydroponics or urban farming
- Transport, distribution, storage or logistics
- Food processing
- Packaging or marketing
- Food retail or service
- Waste management or recycling
- Digital or technology solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Innovative finance solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Renewable energy or environmental solutions/services to the agri-food sector
After a thorough review of applications by expert jury, semi-finalists will receive notification via Facebook and email by the 17th of July 2021 where they will each be interviewed and asked for further information.
By the 27th of July, the finalists will be announced with six (6) males and six (6) females to compete in the final virtual pitching contest at the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) virtual meeting 2021.
The Grand Prize
Two successful entrepreneurs; male and female, will each receive $50,000 for being the most innovative and scalable agric business idea. All GoGettaz finalists will also be awarded mentorship, programming linkages and other guidance to continue their entrepreneurial journey. APPLY HERE
Deadline for applications
The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize welcomes applications till the 14th of June, 2021.
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to share your story with the world!