Applications are open for the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize 2021 aimed at finding the brightest young agri-food entrepreneurs on the African continent. This is a search for agribusinesses that are bringing tech, innovation and passion to the agriculture and food space.
The Gogettaz Agripreneur Prize is organized by Generation Africa, a partnership between Econet and Yara International to strengthen the ecosystem for youth entrepreneurs in the agri-food sector across the continent.
The prize is looking for agribusinesses that show the following features;
- Environmental sustainability
- Social and commercial impact
- Originality and innovation
- Market potential and traction
- An investible team
Who Qualifies to apply?
- Be 35 years and below
- Hold nationality (with an official ID) from any African Union member country
- Be a founding member of the startup and play an active role in its operation
- Have no criminal record
The submitted company shall meet the following terms,
- The business should be legally registered in any AU member country and also headquartered on the continent
- It is built to be financially sustainable either as for-profit or non-profit generating revenue and not solely dependent on donor funding
- The venture currently plays a role in the agri-food sector and/or supports the development of the agri-food sector through an innovation or process improvement
- The agri-food sector may be defined as businesses including:
- Agri-food research & development
- Primary food production (farming)
- Crop nutrition
- Mechanisation, automation or robotics, including drones
- Crop protection
- Hydroponics or urban farming
- Transport, distribution, storage or logistics
- Food processing
- Packaging or marketing
- Food retail or service
- Waste management or recycling
- Digital or technology solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Innovative finance solutions/services to the agri-food sector
- Renewable energy or environmental solutions/services to the agri-food sector
After a thorough review of applications by expert jury, semi-finalists will receive notification via Facebook and email by the 17th of July 2021 where they will each be interviewed and asked for further information.
By the 27th of July, the finalists will be announced with six (6) males and six (6) females to compete in the final virtual pitching contest at the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) virtual meeting 2021.
The Grand Prize
Two successful entrepreneurs; male and female, will each receive $50,000 for being the most innovative and scalable agric business idea. All GoGettaz finalists will also be awarded mentorship, programming linkages and other guidance to continue their entrepreneurial journey. APPLY HERE
Deadline for applications
The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize welcomes applications till the 14th of June, 2021.
Apply to the Africa Young Innovators for Health Award & Win US$40,000
Africa Young Innovators for Health Award have launched their maiden challenge designed to highlight and support the work of trailblazing young entrepreneurs developing health innovations on the continent. The deadline for submitting applications is the 31st of March, 2021.
Organizers of the Africa Young Innovators for Health Award want to, with this initiative, encourage business entrepreneurship and help advance promising health care solutions that support and empower healthcare workers – those on the frontline of delivering healthcare to communities.
They therefore look out for innovative healthcare solutions directed at supporting, protecting, and empowering healthcare workers through solutions such as training programmes, providing protective equipment or improving the quality of healthcare.
Who qualifies to apply?
- Interested persons wanting to apply must be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of submitting applications for the Award and must also be a citizen or resident of an African country.
- Successful applicants will have to demonstrate how their inventive healthcare solution is scalable, measurable and makes a lasting impact on healthcare workers.
How applications are evaluated
Applicants need to show their innovation is scalable, measurable, have a sustainable and positive impact on healthcare workers and that their innovation is commercially viable and at least at the proof of concept stage.
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following:
- Innovation: The solution must have an innovative character, meaning it must break new ground and meet a challenge in its city, region or country.
- Scalability: The applicant must show the innovation can be scaled up and used in a wider region of the country, neighboring countries or across the continent.
- Impact: Your solution must show a measurable and sustainable impact on health. Importantly, the health solution needs to show not only that it supports, equips, protects and trains healthcare workers but that this is measurable and can be maintained and is therefore sustainable.
- Commercial viability: The innovative solution must be commercially viable, so they have to see that it is a business proposition, that it can compete effectively with its competitors and make a profit.
Benefits of the African Young Innovators for Health Award
Grand prize – $40,000
Second prize – $20,000
Third prize – $15,000
If relevant, successful applicants will get technical support with Intellectual Property protection.
You will gain exposure and recognition from global healthcare leaders and the public.
The Africa Young Innovators for Health award is ably supported by IFPMA, a research-based pharmaceutical companies and associations across the globe and SpeakUp Africa, a policy and advocacy action tank dedicated to catalysing leadership, enabling policy change, and increasing awareness for sustainable development in Africa. APPLY HERE
Got News for us?
Submit Press Release/News: Have you recently launched your startup, raised funding or any news about your company? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to share your story with the world!